Tuesday 26 April 2011

World Bird Wednesday - White-Faced Heron.

Whilst looking through rock pools in the rain – as good a thing to do when it’s raining as we could think of at the time! – we were visited by this White-Faced Heron. The heron seemed to be hunting for small crabs, but most of them just escape by burrowing into the sand. You can see one escaping on the bottom RHS of the picture. After a while the heron seemed to give up and flew off.










































You can find more images of the worlds birds here – and you can see the latest post on my other blog by click the “Paying Ready Attention” link on the RHS of the screen.


Enjoy the birds.

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful shot of the heron--what a fun way to spend a day--walking in the rain by the ocean. Gosh, are you preceptive--I had not noticed that there was a ladybug in the flower. Thanks for pointing that out. Have a good week. Mickie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grand looking heron!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  3. White-faced Herons are a common bird up here too. I frequently see them around the edges of the bay. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm amazed how different Herons there are around the world Stewart. Another new one for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice heron, Stewart. That's a new one for me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful. A great bird. Thanks for showing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow what a beautiful bird - great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful Heron. Excellent captures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Whilst looking through rock pools in the rain" That maybe the greatest first line of a blog post that I've ever read! I'm glad your looking was so well rewarded! ;-)WBW

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for all the comments! Glad people like the pictures and even the words!

    Cheers Stewart M

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful bird! I like the photo of the crab that got away!

    ReplyDelete
  12. a first for me-thats what I really like about this meme is seeing a bird I've never seen and may never..but in a way now I have!! Super photos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. such a beautiful bird -- really cool shots!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great shots, Stewart. I love the wild waves in the first photo!

    ReplyDelete